“Aromatherapy is a caring, hands-on therapy which seeks to induce relaxation, to increase energy, to reduce the effects of stress and to restore lost balance to mind, body and soul.” -Robert Tisserand
“Aromatherapy can be defined as the art and science of utilizing naturally extracted aromatic essences from plants to balance, harmonize and promote the health of body, mind and spirit. It is an art and science which seeks to explore the physiological, psychological and spiritual realm of the individual's response to aromatic extracts as well as to observe and enhance the individual's innate healing process. As a holistic practice, Aromatherapy is both a preventative approach as well as an active method to employ during acute and chronic stages of illness or 'dis'-ease.
It is a natural, non-invasive modality designed to affect the whole person not just the symptom or disease and to assist the body's natural ability to balance, regulate, heal and maintain itself by the correct use of essential oils.” -Jade Shutes
Aromatherapy can reduce stress and anxiety, helps your body prepare for labor, and many other discomforts throughout your pregnancy, labor and birth, and during the postpartum period.
Using essential oils during the pregnancy, labor, and postpartum phases can:
- Promote relaxation
- Reduce stress
- Increase energy
- Ease aches, pain, and cramping
- Provide relief from nausea, headaches, and swelling
- Speed up recovery following delivery
- And so much more
Yoni steams bring heat to the womb after childbirth. The use of specific herbs work in combination to nourish, tone, heal, bring in fresh oxygenated blood, promote cleansing, and shrink the swollen vaginal and uterine tissues after pregnancy and childbirth. The moist heat opens the pores of the tissues it encounters. The water vapor carries the medicinal benefits of the plants, including volatile oils. This is absorbed into the tissues and enters the bloodstream, having a direct healing effect on the reproductive system. Vaginal tissue is one of the most absorbent of the entire female body.
Yoni steams can be dry or wet. A mama sits over a specially designed sauna and either dry herbs are added to hot stones causing ‘smoke’ to rise into the perineum area or herbs are added to water that causes wet steam to rise. A postnatal Yoni steam, as part of the postnatal treatment, is 20-30 minutes.
Benefits of a Yoni Steam
- Helps softens and melts blood clots in the lochia for easy passing.
- Reduces uterus swelling.
- Reduces excessive vaginal discharge.
- Eliminates foul odor.
- Helps tighten the pelvic floor muscles.
- Reduces the possibility of vaginal infection and itchiness.
- Helps cleanse and deodorize vaginal area.
Do not steam the perineum area if:
There are open wounds, such as a tear, or stitches as this could cause pain and swelling.
There is the existence of a uterine infection, vaginal sores or blisters.
Herbs for Postpartum Yoni Steams
The essential herbs used in after birth v-steams are a blend of herbs that have anti-septic, anti-inflammatory, and circulation properties combined with herbs known for feminine health!
- Basil: increases blood circulation, antibiotic properties, relieves headaches
- Rosemary: increases blood circulation to the reproductive organs, antiseptic
- Lavender: nourishes and relaxes the nervous system. It is serves as an antispasmodic and antiseptic to the perineum tissues.
- Oregano: used for its antiseptic, stimulating and strengthening qualities
- Mugwort: traditional Korean/Chinese herb used for blood circulation.
- Rose petals: are a gentle astringent to the tissue of the perineum area an and has an uplifting fragrance
- Raspberry leaf: uterine tonic, nutrient dense, cooling, antispasmodic, relaxant, nurturing and protective
- Yarrow herb: a uterine tonic, pelvic circulatory, anti-spasmodic.
- Marigold petals: used as a uterine and hormonal tonic.
Includes all herbs and supplies needed. I bring a special chair used for Yoni Steams. I will arrive at your home and start the process of heating up the water. The herbs need to boil for about 10 minutes, and then steep for about 10 minutes. Once ready, you will sit on the Yoni steam chair and I will wrap a sheet around your shoulders and another around your lap. You will need to wear cotton underwear. The Yoni steam process lasts about 20-30 minutes. After, I will strain the herbal water so you can use it for a perineum wash.
Herbal Bath Kits- $10 (2-3 baths)
Herbal Tea Kits- $10 (1 gallon/16 cups)